Monday, January 10, 2011

WLP 530 is at it again...

After pitching the yeast cake off of the Belgian Pale Ale, the WLP 530 Abbey Ale yeast began fermenting the Belgian Dubbel in about 3 hours. I was worried about the yeast driving fermentation too high and tried to put the fermenter in the coldest part of the basement last night. It kept the fermentation cold, but maybe a little too cold at around 62 F. I let the temp come up slowly to about 66 F where it's fermenting away now. I'll try and ramp up the temperature little by little over the next couple of days until reaching about 72 F.


It's crazy the amount of convection that goes on in a relatively strong beer with a good population of yeast. I'm hoping some of this yeast will still be viable after the Dubbel comes out of the secondary and into bottles; I'm thinking of brewing up a Biere de Garde with a partial sour mash.


No comments:

Post a Comment