Sunday, January 16, 2011

Filtered Belgian Pale

Last night I got around to filtering the Belgian Pale Ale I brewed two weeks ago. The cartridge filters I have do a great job of separating the beer from the yeast. Since WLP 530 is such a poor flocculator, it really helped to put this beer through the filter. I use 5 and 1 micron filters and still have some haze to the beer; I'll either have to chill the beer more after boiling, add more irish moss during the boil, or start using a finer filter.


After filtering I cold crashed the beer down to about 38 F and force carbonated at about 35 psi. I haven't force carbonated so cold and with as much pressure before, but I think I'll have to carbonate this way in the future. The beer is just about fully carbonated after only a day and a half.

The Dubbel is just about finished with fermentation and I think I'll rack that into a secondary carboy mid-week for conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment