Monday, August 1, 2011

#16 Terrapin Rye Pale Ale (clone #2)

In addition a wheat beer, I had hoped to brew another pale ale this summer before warm weather was gone. I have always loved the idea of a rye pale ale, and gave the style a shot last summer. I altered the common Terrapin Rye Pale ale recipe found online with a few adjustments and it came out great. I figured another shot at this recipe was in order, and it also gave me the opportunity to build up a healthy batch of yeast which I will repitch next week into the "test-batch" for a beer I'll be brewing for my High Schools reunion this year.

Draining the mash into the boil kettle
Terrapin Rye Pale Ale (clone #2)

Batch Volume (Gal): 6
Pre-Boil Volume (Gal): 6.16

Total Grain (Lbs): 13.19
OG: 1.056 (should be 1.054)  
Anticipated FG: ~1.012  
Anticipated ABV: ~5.5%

IBUs: 42.8 (should be 40)
SRM: 8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69%
Boil Duration: 90 min

Grain (Lbs/oz.) (%)
Pearl 2-row 9.39 71.2
Munich Malt 1.32 10
Rye Malt 1.32 10
Victory Malt 0.66 5
Honey Malt 0.5 3.8

Hops       (AA%) (IBU) (Oz.) (Boil[min])
Magnum   12         28.8 0.6         60
Fuggle        4         4.9    0.6         30
EKG          4.5        3.0    0.5         20
EKG          4.5        2.2     0.6        10
Cascade      6         4.0       1           1
Amarillo   10          0        2      Dry Hop

Yeast
Pitched 1056 American Ale yeast activator pack directly

Water
3.24 g CaSO4 (in boil)   2.7 g CaCl (in boil)
Ca: 75   Cl: 58   SO4: 80

Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion   5 min at 160 F, brought down to 155-154 F for remaining 55 min

Some of the numbers given by the Can You Brew It recipe I couldn't quite match. I overshot my mash temp by quite a bit but was able to bring it down quickly. It was still a degree high for the duration of the mash but I think since this recipe is without crystal malts of any kind, this high mash temp is compensatory. I wasn't able to hit the water profile exactly either (although this was not a parameter given specifically by the brewer at Terrapin), but I was able to at least keep the ratio of sulfates to chlorides roughly the same, so this should help produce a profile that works with this beer. I also chose to finish with a whole ounce of Cascade as well (should be 0.6 ounces), since I figured more is better as always when finishing and dry hopping. I'll also be dry hopping at a greater rate (2 ounces versus 1.3 ounces).

One of the primary reasons for brewing this beer was so that I can grow some 1056 yeast prior to brewing another Gordon clone in anticipation of brewing a beer for my High School reunion. Beers with which I repitch yeast from a previous batch have always been substantially better than with other pitching methods, and I'm hoping to see how a test batch comes out before I brew the final batch that will be in bottles in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment