Thursday, March 17, 2011

Finishing the Stir Plate

I ordered a 2000 mL flask and stir bar the other day from Northern Brewer so I was finally able to figure out how to set the magnets I salvaged from an old CPU on the computer fan. 

I separated the two rare earth magnets from the metal forms that held them in the computer hard drive and stacked them on top of each other to improve the attraction towards the stir bar. After playing around with different arrangements, I chose to set the magnets on a metal washer that will eventually be glued to the computer fan. With this setup, I can adjust where the magnets sit on the metal washer, allowing me to adjust them if I ever have trouble finding a consistent spin of the stir bar in the future.

I had to pick up another piece of equipment from Radio Shack after realizing that my original 5 V cell phone charger wasn't a sufficient power source to power the stir plate. I purchased a AC to DC power source that has an adjustable voltage which should prove useful when adjusting to find the right amount of power to spin the stir bar. 


Unfortunately, the 2000 mL flask was not such a great purchase as it has a slightly domed bottom to the flask. Every time I've tried to start the stir bar, the stir bar is thrown very quickly towards the sides of the flask. I think I may end up using my french press coffee flask in the meantime instead as it has a relatively flat bottom and was able to maintain the stir bar's spin for the few hours I tested it. Since the next brew is a low ABV Biere de Garde version of a table beer, I won't need a starter until the following brews. I'm hoping I can find a decent flask in time for making starters for the soured Biere de Garde and American IPA (Bell's Two Hearted IPA clone) I have planned.

Filtering the Kolsch
Both the German Altbier and the English Oatmeal Stout kicked within a couple of days of each other this week, and both were quickly replaced by the English Pale Ale with American hops and the German Kolsch. Both beers have been filtered and should be carbonated by next week. The Scottish 60 Schilling Ale and Barleywine continue to age in carboys, and the Scottish Wee Heavy is just about finished with fermentation.

Slainte Mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment